Ok, here is my plea for any help/ideas/suggestions that you all might have. We have been trying to potty train Erin on and off for 11 months...her teachers at school have also been trying, albeit less aggressively, and to no avail. She knows what the potty is for and will sit on it as long as we ask her to, but will not consistently go...or she will sit on the potty, get up, and have an accident right away. It is incredibly frustrating. I've heard everything from "just forget about it" totally to "boot camp" it in the bathroom, literally sitting on the toilet for 12 hours a day (that doesn't seem healthy for anyone). I am at a loss! Here is my (non-inclusive) list of what all we have tried, most of them many times...but not all at once! Does anyone have any other ideas, or what has worked for your kids?
Stickers, charts, bribes, treats
Books (4 different ones for her, 2 for parents), videos, songs - both potty-related and her favorites for distraction purposes, Elmo and dolls "pottying" with a syringe for demo
Little plastic potty, big potty with padded seat and stool
Threats (I'm not going to lie), attempts at reasoning, talking about being a "big girl"
Wetting herself, diapers, pull-ups, cloth training pants, underwear, naked time
Timer, scheduled sitting
Picture chart of potty process and also in her daily schedule at home
Mommy even went to a conference that covered this, went to the Project Enlightenment resource center, and have consulted/whined with teachers, etc. countess times
I am really discouraged because I think she is capable of this mentally, but either doesn't have it quite together physically or just plain doesn't care. There's also the communication aspect in that she doesn't want to tell us that she has to go or that she has had an accident. Maybe there's something else that we could do to help her along. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I tried to get ideas out of Logan and Ansley but all they could come up with is potty seat. Ansley suggested that she use her Dora one. They are very helpful.
I know that must be so frustrating and I wish I had some more ideas! The potty timer seemed to help Logan but we had to set it for like 15 minute increments at one point. You can't do that for a very long time though before it gets too old. I will let you know if I think of anything else!
Thanks! Yeah, we try the 15 minute thing off and on because it makes us crazy...especially when she goes right after the potty! Tell them thank you, they just can't be too helpful!
Post a Comment